This article contains affiliate links. If you click and make a purchase we will make a commission at no extra cost to you.
Although Marina Bay Sands was only completed in June 2010, it has quickly risen to become the most prominent landmark in Singapore, overtaking old favourites like The Esplanade and Old Parliament House. Initially, most Singaporeans were skeptical of Marina Bay Sands. The hotel caused a nation-wide outrage when it announced its decision to install the world’s longest elevated swimming pool- 200 meters above the ground. It led to many Singaporeans blaming the building when ill-timed floods took place shortly after.
Today however, it is one of the most recognised structures in the world. Let us share a couple of facts you may not have known about Singapore’s iconic building.
- 1. It is the world’s most expensive standalone casino property
- 2. It brings in a whopping revenue
- 3. It is one of the top 40 largest hotels in the world
- 4. The infinity pool holds a ton of water
- 5. It houses an underground labyrinth
- 6. It runs on a lot of fuel
- 7. MBS has a VIP only program called Paiza
- 8. Big bets are common in the casino
- 9. It houses one of the most expensive restaurants in the world
- How to book a room at Marina Bay Sands
- How to get to Marina Bay Sands
1. It is the world’s most expensive standalone casino property
In May 2006, Las Vegas Sands won one out of two slots to be in Singapore’s integrated resorts. The initial investment commitment was S$3.85 billion. However, due to escalating costs of materials and labour shortage, Las Vegas Sands had to reprioritise their options and delayed other projects worldwide just to complete Marina Bay Sands. So one of the most shocking Marina Bay Sands facts, as of July 2009, the total cost of development had been finalised at S$8 billion.
2. It brings in a whopping revenue
According to CNBC.com, Marina Bay Sands and Resorts World Sentosa contributes 1.5-2% to Singapore’s GDP, with Marina Bay Sands netting a cool revenue of $825 million in the last quarter of 2017 (Source). That’s an MBS fact you cannot ignore when you next sit down to gamble.
3. It is one of the top 40 largest hotels in the world
Marina Bay Sands has 2561 rooms and suites, making it one of the top 40 largest hotels in the world. It also has 6 expo halls, 250 meeting rooms and the largest ballroom in Southeast Asia. Due to it’s position, it’s also a great place to watch the National Day Fireworks or have a drink and dine with a view.
Number 4 on the list continues below…